There are a lot of bean and barley salad recipes out there but this is one of our favorites. The way we make this one precludes any idea that it is just another version of a “glorified salsa”. We keep a lot of those ingredients out of this one and allow the flavor of the few ingredients we add to speak for themselves. It’s light yet somehow very satisfying. It is tasty and full of fiber. In fact, with a couple slices of sprouted bread and some EarthBalance it becomes a meal in itself!
Bean and Barley Salad
- 1 cup of uncooked barley (makes about 3 cups cooked)
- 1 (15 oz.) can of dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups (about 12) grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/4 cup of sliced green onions, including some of the green
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
How we make it
Prepare barley as directed on package. After cooking, drain and allow to cool, place in a medium to large serving bowl and refrigerate.
Meanwhile, slice the green onions, thinly. Be sure to include a little of the green. Quarter the grape tomatoes and set aside. Chop the parsley and set aside as well.
In a small to medium sized bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt and pepper.
Remove the chilled barley from the refrigerator, add the beans, onions, parsley and dressing. Toss gently to thoroughly mix.
Add the tomatoes and toss lightly once again, to incorporate the tomatoes throughout the salad.
Serve immediately or return to the refrigerator to chill more until ready to serve.
Makes about 4 servings
Per serving: 330 calories, 11g protein, 15g fat, 0g trans fat, 0mg cholesterol, 42g carbohydrates, 510mg sodium