Springtime – and a young man’s fancy turns to thoughts of…asparagus?
It seems that fresh, delicate asparagus defines Springtime like no other vegetable. It’s the best time of the year for newly picked asparagus spears. Visit your local farmer’s market or a grower to find the tastiest, freshest asparagus.
They may have the typical green or the white variety – there is even a purple variety. All varieties come with health benefits such as folate, vitamin C and fiber. Many experts believe (including the AICR’s experts, whose asparagus salad recipe we have adapted) that foods high in folate probably protect against pancreatic cancer.
To get the best asparagus look for firm, smooth, bright green stalks with tight tips. You can refrigerate your asparagus for three to four days. The best way to keep it fresh is to store it upright in a tall glass. Put about an inch of water in the glass and loosely cover it with a plastic bag. Before you cook it, trim the spears and rinse the tips well.
We think you’ll enjoy this Asparagus Salad with Lemon-Soy Sauce.
Asparagus Salad With Lemon-Soy Sauce
- 1 1/4 lbs. thin asparagus stalks, cut diagonally into 1 1/2-inch lengths
- 8 whole scallions, trimmed to include a little green
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil, EVOO or grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 5 scallions, trimmed to include a little green,
- minced and divided in 2 batches
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce or Braggs
- 1/2 tsp. sugar or 1/4+ tsp. agave nectar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. lemon juice, or to taste
HOW WE MAKE IT
- Steam asparagus and whole scallions in a steam basket
- over boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Rinse under running cold water to stop cooking and set color.
- Drain and cool.
- To make dressing, heat oil in small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add ginger and stir until it begins to color.
- Add half the minced scallions and cook a few seconds.
- Add broth, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar.
- Set aside.
- Just before serving, place remaining minced scallions in large bowl.
- Add steamed asparagus and scallions.
- Bring dressing to a boil over medium-high heat for 30 seconds.
- Gradually stir in pepper and lemon juice, tasting, to achieve an appealing tart and peppery flavor.
- Toss vegetables with dressing.
Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 97 calories, 4 g. total fat (less than 1 g. saturated fat), 12 g. carbohydrate, 5 g. protein, 5 g. dietary fiber, 134 mg. sodium.